8 Key Steps of LOCKOUT \ LOTO \ Control of Hazardous Energy :
These steps are the minimum sequential requirements for the implementation of LOCKOUT procedure as per the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) standard 29 CFR 1910.147
- Inform to all affected the employee & also prepare for the Shutdown of all energy sources.
- Identify all the energy sources by authorized employees, they must know to control all possible source of energy.
- Shutdown the machine by the routine stopping process if machine or equipment is in operation.
- All require machine or equipment isolate from its energy sources.
- Control the isolations with applying LOCKOUT by Individual assigned Lock.
- Release all possible stored energy (like that in capacitor, spring, hydraulic system, gas, air, water pressure, grounding, blocking etc.)
- Isolation must be verify by the authorized person by operation with regular operating procedure (caution: Before verification first check operating area is unmanned & after verification press in return operation control to neutral of off).
- Now equipment’s are isolated, start the maintenance or servicing activities .